| Chisuma School near Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe |
On our recent trip to Africa we visited the Chisuma School, a small, rural school just outside Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. Victoria Falls is a tourist area with visitors from around the globe there to see one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
We arrived in the afternoon to find 75 of the school's elementary students outside waiting to greet us. Various grade level groups welcomed us with poems, songs, and performances. All of the students walk to school, some several miles each way. Parents pay $10/term for each student and even at that modest cost, many students need help with the tuition.
This elementary school has a special and very dedicated group of high school students who live too far from the local high school to attend that school...so they attend this school closer to their homes. In one room at least 55 students were crowded together in a hot, stuffy room with few textbooks available. The teacher wrote the lessons on the chalkboard. But still, these students are committed to their studies and realize that education is their pathway to a better life.
Education in Zimbabwe has suffered terribly as has the entire country during the economic crisis of the last 15 years. Once known as the breadbasket of southern Africa, with one of the highest literacy rates in Africa, the country now has an 80% unemployment rate.
While in 1980 an average of six dollars was allocated per pupil, in 2009 this amount had dropped to $.70 per pupil. As a result, the pupil-textbook ratio in urban schools has dropped to one textbook for every 10 pupils while in rural schools there is only one textbook available for every 40 pupils. The deterioration of the education system and the political tensions in the country have also caused an exodus of teachers.
The Zimbabwe Teachers Association (ZIMTA) estimates that in the past decade more than 45,000 teachers have left the country. A recent estimate indicated that 35% of the teacher posts in primary education and 33% in secondary education were vacant.
We have so much and they have so little.
4 comments:
Things like this are what put our own inconveniences in perspective. We gripe about the state that our system is in today with no real understanding of how well we have it. I have text books in my closet that I never use because I prefer to take advantage of the computers that are available to every single one of my students. We have an overabundance of educators and because of outside factors countries like Zimbabwe has a generation that suffers because they lack educators. This is something that I want to show my students when they complain about coming to school so I can say "See! We are so lucky!"
This definitely does put things into perspective for us. Our country is overflowing with educators while countries such as Zimbabwe struggle to obtain the amount of educators they need, hindering the children in this country from receiving an education even close to the education that is available in our country.
Ed,
Please see this link:http://www.kintera.org/atf/cf/%7B70E631E4-44B9-4D36-AE7D-D12E4520FAB3%7D/SFAIssue12[1].pdf
My professional women educators society- the conference I was at last week- supports the project Schools for Africa, of which Zimbabwe is one of the areas we support. This has been an international project for about two or three years and we as a Society have raised over $165,000 to send to the UNICEF connected project. I hope some of our monies reach the school you mentioned. This is an international focus project for us and I would love to hear more about your trip there. It would help me to educate my ladies 600 wide across the state. So, while you may have been thinking I was off to a sorority gathering, it was not. We are a professional women's educators society- an honor society of sorts. Check out more of our information at www.dkg.org. Thank you for sharing about Africa! I may be calling on you to share more!
Melanie
Thanks, Melanie. Would love to talk with you more about this and about our experience in Zimbabwe. Your group—and I knew it was a professional society not a sorority—is doing excellent work. I'll take a look at the Schools for Africa project.
Post a Comment