Marc Prensky's Edutopia article about 21st century digital learners is very interesting—and not surprisingly— extremely critical of today's schools. Prensky advocates that we should listen to students more instead of making all the decisions for them. The comments by the adolescents he quotes are provocative..."You think of technology as a tool. We think of it as a foundation -- it's at the basis of everything we do."
And then the other shoe drops..."No matter where I go in the world -- the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia, or New Zealand -- students are mind-numbingly bored in class. Listen up." Ouch! While hardly a new idea (see several more comments below), the power of these statements is staggering.
"I'm bored 99 percent of the time." (California)
"[My teachers] bore me so much I don't pay attention." (Detroit)
"Pointless. I'm engaged in two out of my seven classes." (Florida)
So, what is he asking for? Nothing more than what we have advocated for a long time...listening to students' voices, using the knowledge and passion for learning they possess, and giving them opportunities to use the technology they use so seamlessly in their "other" lives.
What do you think? Are students today that much different from students of the past?
1 comment:
A student success is related to how much effort he/she puts into the classroom.
The students effort is totally proportional to the level of interest and/or participation.
Marc Prensky's article really sets up up for a discussion about reforming the classroom norm. Thanks for using this article in class Ed, as I will undoubtedly use it as a reference point at work!
Post a Comment